Saturday 31 December 2011

Day 223 (31 December 2011) - If you're with me...

...next year will be the perfect year'

Whatever happened to Dina Carroll?  A fellow Cantrabrigian, I can still remember seeing her having driving lessons around Cambridge.  There was always an added air of excitement in Sainsbury's, where I worked, when she popped in for a Glade Plug-In and a Wagon Wheel!  I think she was last heard of suffering from terrible stage fright?

Anyway, here we are then,  31st December.  Traditionally, the end of the year is a time for reflection.  Well, that's what we're brought up to believe, but in reality, for most people I've encountered, it tends to be all about fretting over what you're going to do on New Year's Eve!  I think I'm yet to meet anyone who actively states that they love the 'big night'.  Pubs that are crying out for your custom all year suddenly start charging you a fiver for the right to spend more money in over-crowded bars where it takes twenty minutes to get a drink and there are at least three 'Happy New Year' false alarms.  Elsewhere taxi drivers swap their day jobs in favour of running extortion rackets.  As a result, up and down the country friends play 'New Year Russian Roulette' refusing to commit to any plans until at the last minute (usually around the 28th December), someone finally cracks and declares that everyone can come to theirs.

Personally, I've never been a fan of New Year's Eve, although I have had some belters (a weekend in Rock conjours up particularly fond memories).  No, to me, the passing of another year has really only meant that the festive celebrations are at an end and that I'm another year older!  Yet, for once, I'm excited and optimistic about this New Year.  Granted,  a lot of this is wrapped up in my building giddiness over the Olympics - at this rate, by July they'll have to put me on valium - but most of the excitement is based on the simple fact that 2012 isn't 2011.

In short I can't wait to see the back of this ruddy year.  OK, so there have been some high points - the weddings of Kate & Wills and Sophie & Chris most notably -  but let's be honest, it's not been a vintage.  Compared with the various trials and tribulations I've watched a number of friends and relations go through, mine's probably been fair to middling, but I wouldn't describe it as an easy, plain-sailing sort of year.  However, as I gaze back and survey the wreckage like the opening scene from Lost,  somehow everyone is still present and correct, still just about smiling, albeit with an array of battle scars and a greater tolerance for alcohol! 

When I look back on where I was this time last year, I don't think I'd ever have imagined that this year would have turned out the way it has, but with the new year on the horizon there is lots to look forward to.  At the very least 2011 has made me appreciate things I previously took for granted.  For starters I have a greater affection for the Royal Family than I ever knew and I've learnt that I genuinely can't be without a Smartphone!  Perhaps more importantly, in the maelstrom of the long-term break-up, I managed to qualify for my Chartered Institute of Marketing Diploma and get promoted at work, so I'm clearly tougher, more resilient and more practical than I thought.  I've also managed to say a sad but fond farewell to the past eleven years devoid (I think) of any anger or bitterness and find myself generally wishing the ex and the 'replacement me' the very best of happiness - so maybe I'm not as far away from the fair, rational and decent person I always try to be as I sometimes think  - that said, I do comfort myself with the fact that I regard myself as infinitely superior to the new me on virtually every level (sorry, couldn't resist it).   Most of all, however,  2011 has made me appreciate how very fortunate I am to be surrounded by such amazing, warm, considerate, funny and inspiring friends and family who have laughed with me, cried with me and mostly got very, very drunk with me.  My biggest fear was being alone, but thanks to you I haven't had to be.  You will never know the positive difference you've made and continue to make to my little ol' life.  

It only remains for me to say, that if you've had a good year then I am genuinely pleased for you - little bits of your happiness and enthusiasm have rubbed of on the rest of us and made the tough bits that little bit easier.  If you've had a stinker of a year, then congratulate yourself for making it through in one piece and comfort yourself with the knowledge that 2012 is going to be amazing.  And whatever role you've played in my life this year, know that you're incredibly special, and I wish you and your loved ones the most amazing, enjoyable and stress-free new year.

2012 - BRING IT ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment